Thought some folks here would be interested in my latest project. Converting a Hasbro Voice Changer Clone helmet to the most critical part of my Captain Rex costume.
First, there was Hasbro:
To fix the visor, I cut a no parking sign to fit the front of the face. The plastic is thin enough that it only padded out the front by about 1/16th, but let me have a perfectly smooth front to work with:
Once I got the shape how I wanted it, I took the whole thing apart... basically just removed every screw and took out the FX board/speakers to be used at a later date.
I glued the sign to the face of the mask and padded out the back of the sign with epoxy putty to build up the right thickness lip.
I then put a coat of primer on it and put the face and loosely re-assembled the helmet.
From here we have many, many hours of bondo/sanding/primer/repeat to get it all smooth.
Once it was mostly smooth I switched from bondo to wood filler... water based, and easier to get into tight little spaces.
Next up was the neck ring. The Hasbro didn't have much of a lip around the bottom. I didn't want to have to do a removable neck or face, so I made the ring just big enough to fit my head in, then arranged things accordingly.
I built the lip out of scrap sheets of styrene and bondo. You'll also notice that I filled the whole thing with spray foam at this point to keep it rigid.
One regret here - I forgot to fill in the front vent slot in all of my filling. I didn't want to add the extra 2 to the rear of the existing ones, since the animated style clones only have 4, and my goal is to have that sort of a look (wait for another project to further that end, coming soon!).
Now, the creamsicle snot part of the story! And here's a good time to throw in... PLEASE don't PM me about making copies. This is a personal project only... I have neither the time nor desire to churn out dozens of clone helmets!
That's with 1 coat of Rebound 25 brushed on, and one layer of it with the Thivex thickener (to fill in details better). There were more coats, but they just looked like more of that.
My first mold jacket was plaster, heavy, and stupid. I smashed that and made a new fiberglass one that screws together on the left and right halves. I don't have a pic of that, but I'll remedy the situation this evening.
And here we are, fresh from the mold:
For my toonifying, I filled the front 2 vent slots on the sides, and thinned out the fin by sanding off the lip around the edges, both on the sides and top.
Not much in the way of progress here, but you can see the end result in this pre-weathering shot:
And one of it on me:
Next on the Rex list was the RF topper. Most folks just use a Fett one, but I'm picky...
So I took one of my Fett toppers (built using the WoF templates on TDH) and modified it to look like the Rex one:
This of course got a rubber bath too. Unlike the helmets, these I'm willing to make for people if anyone wants one for a Rex / ARC / whatever. They are quick, easy, and 100% built by me... Unlike the helmets on all counts.
The RF stalk is an aluminum Boba one made by a garrison mate. I cut the T off of the top of it, so that it's just a straight bar. Again, no detail like that on Rex.
Here is the resin topper mounted to the modified stalk:
The animated clones lack the mouth/vocoder detail in the front. I took a bit of liberty with my real-world interpretation of that:
A layer of window screen followed by a layer of black nylon. Inside of that will be a fan, pulling air in to the helmet (I hope!)
And finally, the finished paint job:
Weathering is done with black acrylic wash (windex + black paint = win), then grey acrylic daubed on with paper towels. I did the wash, let it dry, then daubed on the grey and patted it down with windex and dry towels until I liked the look.
Back of the helmet: